NABCEP Entry Level Program
The NABCEP PV Entry Level Program is designed for individuals wanting to get into the solar field, and is a way to demonstrate achievement of a basic knowledge of the fundamental principles of the application, design, installation and operation of grid-tied and stand-alone PV Systems.
As the market grows for both PV and Solar Heating, students achieving this industry-sponsored Entry Level Exam may find that their employment opportunities are enhanced by starting the job with an understanding of the basic terms and operational aspects of a PV or Solar Heating system. Individuals passing one of the NABCEP Entry Level Exams should not be confused with NABCEP Certified Installers.
Entry Level Program – Where to Start
To be eligible to sit for the NABCEP Entry Level Exam, there are two options at Appalachian State University:
- Students who have successfully completed TEC 4608/5608 Photovoltaic System Design & Construction or TEC 4628/5628 Solar Thermal Technology are eligible to take the corresponding Entry Level Exam.
- Download the NABCEP Entry Level Exam Candidate Eligibility Form or ask your instructor for it.
- The form must be filled out in its entirety, signed by the candidate AND instructor.
- Submit the form with the exam fee, $120 cash or check made payable to Appalachian State University, to Janet Miller in IG Greer, office 231.
- You will receive an email from Castle Worldwide Testing Services within a few days of submittal with details and a link to sign up for your test. Participants will register to take the test at a testing center location of your choice at select cities across the United States including Apex, Boone, Cary, Charlotte, Cullowhee, Durham, Fayetteville, Greensboro, Hudson, Morrisville, Raleigh, or Wilmington .
- Upon passing, you will receive the NABCEP Entry Level Certification
- Appalachian Energy Center hosts a week long workshop every year (typically in May), Introduction to Photovoltaic System Design & Construction, that prepares participants for the NABCEP Entry Level PV Exam and includes the fee for the test. For more information and to see when the next workshop is scheduled click here.
Click here for more information on the NABCEP Entry Level Program.
Questions? Contact Janet Miller at 262-8913.
|Candidate Eligibility Form||Word (DOCX)||57.44 KB|
Energy Center News
Dr. Jeff Ramsdell, Director
828-262-7514 (Appalachian Energy Center)
401 Academy Street
226 IG Greer Hall
ASU Box 32131
Boone, NC 28608