The NABCEP Associate Program recognizes individuals who have demonstrated knowledge of the fundamental principles of the application, design, installation and operation of Photovoltaic, Solar Heating or Small Wind energy systems.
As the market grows for PV, Solar Heating and Small Wind technologies, individuals with an industry-validated NABCEP Associate Exam credential may find that their employment opportunities are enhanced and their resumes distinguished. Employers can have confidence that they are hiring or promoting someone who is committed to learning and professionalism, and who has demonstrated a strong understanding of the basic terms and operational aspects of a PV, Solar Heating or Small Wind system.
Click here for more information on the NABCEP Associate Certification.
NABCEP Associate Program – Where to Start
Note: Contact the Outreach Manager or Program Specialist to register for an exam.
To be eligible to sit for the NABCEP Associate Exam, there are two options at Appalachian State University:
- Students who have successfully completed TEC 3609/5608 Intro to PV/Photovoltaic System Design & Construction, TEC 4628/5628 Solar Thermal Technology, or TEC 4607/5607 Wind & Hydro Power Technology with a completion date in the past two years are eligible to take the corresponding Associate Exam.
- Download the NABCEP Associate Exam Candidate Eligibility Form here.
- The form must be filled out in its entirety, signed by the candidate AND instructor (Alternatively, instructor may email the Outreach Manager that your eligibility has been met). Please email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- NABCEP has launched the NABCEP Associate Exams with Live Online Proctering (LOP), allowing you to take the Exam at home. We can now accept the $150 exam fee by credit card payment for the LOP Exam. Once your Candidate Eligibility Form has been received you will be sent a link to pay for the Exam with a credit card.
- You will receive an email from Scantron Testing Services within a few days of submittal with details and a link to schedule your test.
- Upon passing, you will receive the corresponding NABCEP Associate Program Certification.
Note: Students are eligible to sit for the Associate Exam for a period of two years after completing the course. Once you pay the fee for the Exam you have a six month window to schedule and take your test.
- Appalachian Energy Center hosts a week long workshop every year (typically in May after the Spring semester), Introduction to Photovoltaic System Design & Construction, that prepares participants for the NABCEP PV Associate Exam and includes the fee for the test. For more information and to see when the next workshop is scheduled click here.